Heat Warning for Bicyclists:
It may not be summer, but typical temperatures, high humidity, and the south Florida sun can cause major heat related issues. Morning rides are best to avoid the potential problems. No matter the time you venture out, be prepared for this time of year. HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE! Bring plenty of fluids, wear sunscreen and a cover (helmet, hat, etc.)
Have fun, but stay safe!!
Due to ongoing Everglades Restoration construction along U.S. 41 to the east of Shark Valley, drivers may experience 10 - 15 minute delays. As a result, you may wish to allow yourself a little extra driving time.
|Bicycling is a wonderful way to view the Everglades at your own pace. The 15 mile paved road gives easy access to any type of bicycle, with no hills to climb or rough terrain to traverse. The typical bike ride around Shark Valley will last between 2 and 3 hours, but it always depends on you and how many things catch your eye.|
Visitors without their own bicycles may rent them from the rental area for $8.50/hour on a first come-first serve basis. A driver's license or I.D. will be required for a deposit on rental bikes. All the rentals are single gear, coaster brake type bicycles with adjustable seats to accommodate different heights. Baskets and helmets are also available for all rental bikes. In addition, there are some 20" children's bikes, and several bikes available with child seats for children of 35 pounds or less.
Bicycle rentals begin at 8:30 a.m. and may be rented until 4:00 p.m. Rental bikes must be returned to the rental office by 5:00 p.m.
Some things every biker should know:
1) Under Florida law, anyone under the age of 16 is required to wear a bike helmet.
2) Maintain a safe distance from ALL wildlife. Try to stay 10 - 15 feet away from the wildlife, and do not feed or try to harass any animal you see. The animals are in their natural home, and if you respect them, they will respect you.
3) Bring plenty of fluids!!! Even on days that do not seem too warm, it is easy to dehydrate quickly. There is nothing available to drink once you have left the parking lot area.
4) South Florida summers provide some impressive weather shows, mainly during the mid to late afternoon hours. Summer thunderstorms are common in this area due to the heating of the land during the day, and they may appear quickly. The best riding times are during the morning hours while it is still a little cooler, and before the afternoon storms develop.
Planning a bike ride in the next couple of days? Check out our local weather forecast:
Recent Wildlife Sightings
* Directions to Shark Valley *
|Recent Wildlife Sightings|